tumblr site counter

Writing a Message on a Rice Grain

Discussion in 'Cool Gigs' started by Gigexpert, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Gigexpert

Gigexpert New Member

FE Dollars:
    $12
    This gig is really awesome:

http://fiverr.com/yue_liang/write-your-message-on-rice-grains

No one will believe it if you say that you can get a message created on grains of rice. But this gig makes it true! I only wish the seller could make a video showing the grains since a lot of people can be sceptical about it since you can use Photoshop and create any picture.

2. Fiverr Guy

Fiverr Guy Administrator Staff Member

FE Dollars:
    $265
    I'm assuming that you can't view this grain of rice with the naked eye, lol! Do you have to use a maginfying glass each time you want to see the message?

And what if you drop it on the floor? ;)

3. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    I have seen this done in real time. There was a vendor set up in our mall doing these last holiday season and it was really cool to watch them. Majority of the people purchasing were doing names on the rice and then they would put it in a little glass tube that almost magnified the grain making the name more visible. I love these sort of things!

4. HankKingsley

HankKingsley Member

FE Dollars:
    $72
    Is that your gig? Just asking because it says that it's "Not Rated Yet".

5. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    I am not sure who you are asking HankKingsley. It is not my gig but I have seen it done before. I really want have my kids names done but unfortunately most are too long to go on the rice according to this gig and initials I could probably write on the rice myself since I can write really small. The vendors that I seen do this at the mall could fit saying small sayings on the rice and about three or four names. It is fascinating!

6. doctorimpossible

doctorimpossible New Member

FE Dollars:
    $9
    Wait so they write the name directly on the grain of rice! That is amazing! But now that I think about it I totally agree with fiverr guy. The whole idea seems a little bit stupid and impractical. You can't really read the name normally and $5 For a single piece of rice seems like a waste of money.

7. xbrix

xbrix New Member

FE Dollars:
    $2
    About 2 years ago, I was in Tennessee, and there was a station like thing set up. I'm pretty sure I was also at a mall. She wrote names on rice. You could also choose what container you wanted to put it in (I choose one with a ladybug on it) and you could also choose 4 bead like things on it. They weren't exactly beads, they were more long, and kind of felt like rubber.

Considering that mine cost almost $20, I think that getting it on Fiverr for only $5 is a great deal!

And you are able to read your name. I don't exactly know how, but you can. I think that the glass is a magnifying glass, because the grain of rice looks about as big as your pinky finger nail, maybe a little smaller.

8. gigseeker

gigseeker Member

FE Dollars:
    $41
    You paid almost $20 just to have your name written on a grain of rice? That's quite expensive, I never thought that they charge that high. In that case, that Fiverr seller is a bargain.

9. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    Yes this gig on here is a really great price however it is not able to do long words like the live ones that I have seen. You are not just paying for a grain of rice, you are paying for the time, talent, and uniqueness of this jewelry. The small containers that they put the rice in, are magnifying so you are able to clearly make out what is written as it is difficult to do that with the naked eye (at least it was for me). It is definitely something worth watching have done!

10. 5is4fun

5is4fun New Member

FE Dollars:
    $38
    That is actually quite cute. I could see someone making a romantic gesture with a (small) bowl of rice. Actually, I can envision a few scenarios that might be appropriate for utilizing the rice. How about buying it for an odious employer: "I quit!". :p

I wouldn't mind watching an artist do this. I'll bet it takes some concentration and steady hands.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    Steady hands and the ability to write small and legibly. I used to be able to write small but over the years my writing has gotten bigger…too big for a grain of rice. :p

12. kadam1novasparker

kadam1novasparker New Member

FE Dollars:
    $24
    These are cool. I've seen them actually do it in person at a kiosk in the flea market once. It's a truly cool process and the result is something that you don't see every day. Of course you need a magnifying glass to read the message, but its really there. It's a neat gig.

13. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    I have been in contact with a lady who has a friend that does it. She said her friend uses a needle and ink and then puts the rice in a magnifying glass container of the client’s choice. She also said she charges around $60 for up to seven letters and then charges per the difficulty if they want more.

14. Fiverr Guy

FE Dollars:
    $265
    This is where many people who are on fiverr want to be, being able to charge more for their actual skills. $60 sounds like a nice amount for a little bit of work. Does her friend or anyone else you may know have a video showing how they do this? I'd be interested in seeing it.

15. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    There are a ton of tutorials on YouTube showing how it’s done. Just search for “Writing on a grain of rice”. Its neat to watch!

16. Fiverr Guy

FE Dollars:
    $265
    Aw, i was hoping you could post a video, but using your suggestion, this is what I found:

The music is pretty interesting too!

17. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    LOL! Thanks Fiverr Guy! I was going to post it but I was on my phone and was too lazy to search for the link :) You are right though, the music is…..??…..yes, interesting…I think that looks really cool with more than one in the resin. I’ve only ever seen one grain done and they don’t usually put it in resin so I am excited to have seen this! I will be finding someone do all 5 of my kid’s names this way!:D

18. smlewis00

smlewis00 New Member

FE Dollars:
    $23
    That is a very good point! I hadn't thought of that! I do think the overall concept is pretty cool, but do you really want to get a magnifying glass out everytime you want to look at it? I think this is a cool gig, but I agree with the original post, it would be awesome if the artist included a video of them actually doing the writing on the rice.

19. shaybearlv

shaybearlv Member

FE Dollars:
    $40
    It goes to show that someone did not read the rest of the thread. :p You do not have to get out a magnifying glass to see the rice. The grain is usually put in to a tube, the video posted above, they put it resin in a glass jar, this magnifies the grain and the letters written. Watch the video!

20. Linkzelda

Linkzelda New Member

FE Dollars:
    $5
    This is definitely an interesting gig that would require intense hand-eye coordination. Though I figure the seller could afford to make a lot of mistakes if they can get several packs of rice. Whether or not the end result can be applied for aesthetic and entertainment purposes is a completely different matter though.

Pretty cool, but I honestly see something like this going well solely for the sake of rewarding the seller for their exceptional hand-eye coordination with rice grains.